Epidemiology of Asthma in Adults and Kids
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, asthma is present in 7% of kids and 8% of adults, affecting a total of more than 26 million people in the United States1,2
- Severe asthma affects 5% to 10% of all patients with asthma
- Each year, asthma results in:
- 7 million visits to emergency departments
- More than ,000 hospitalizations
- 8 million missed days of school
- work in 1 out of every 3 adults3
- The prevalence of asthma is higher in the African American population than in the 1
- Severe asthma is associated with 30% to 70% higher direct costs than non-severe asthma
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Most recent national asthma data. March 30, 2021 (https://www.cdc.gov/asthma/most_recent_national_asthma_data.htm).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Control asthma. September 2019 (https://www.cdc.gov/sixeighteen/asthma/index.htm).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adult Missed Days of Work. (https://www.cdc.gov/asthma/asthmadata/adult_missed_work.html).
- Bahadori K, Doyle-Waters MM, Marra C, et al. Economic burden of asthma: a systematic review. BMC Pulm Med. 2009;9:24. doi:10.1186/1471-2466-9-24